Ok, I will admit it. I like providing comic relief to people. I even like laughing at myself. Sometimes that's the only thing you can do. Well, this whole episode of learning how to knit a short-row heel has been one round of comedy after another!
I'm working on a sock for Taylor's friend, Tyarn, for her 18th birthday. It's a good thing I'm using a Kroy yarn -- this yarn is tough as nails! I have done this heel 5 times now -- still haven't gotten it right-- but the yarn has held up very well!
So what's the issue with the short-row heel, you ask? Is it the wraps? The picking up of the wraps? Keeping count? Ahhhh, but I managed to master all of those issues after the first two attempts. Post-It note and pen on the table, a couple of markers at either end (thanks, Linda -- great suggestion!) and I managed to get the 28 stitch heel done just fine.
No, what gets me are the holes when I join up with the other 28 stitches on the other two needles. I admit to defeat here. I will have holes and I'm just going to have to darn them closed. Maybe it will be better on the second sock.
I also tried Priscilla Gibson-Roberts' method for short-row heels, but I like Wendy's version a lot better. This tutorial at cosmicpluto.com (http://www.cosmicpluto.com/blog/?p=585) is just fabulous with lots of great photos.
So now I'm working down the foot for the sock. Very boring. Great knitting for when I'm sitting in front of the TV. So in the meantime, I decided to start another sock. Meghan's been asking for some wool socks. I have this great baby blue colored Uni Opal that she just adores. I also found a couple of great patterns on magknits.com. She picked the "Falling in Love Socks" by Anniken Allis. Great pattern -- I love lace designs! Oops...but this is a toe-up sock. You know, I've tried it -- again, Wendy has a great tutorial on Knitty.com for toe-up socks -- but have never been a fan of it.
Next thing you know, the evening has passed and I've got nearly 4 inches done on the sock from the toe up. This is definitely fun! And while it's hard to tell in the photos on Magknits, there is an adorable heart pattern in the lace design. Meghan is going to go ga-ga over these when she sees them this morning.
Back to knitting!
Saturday, June 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment